We can thank fictional shero Leslie Knope from “Parks and Rec” for creating this unofficial holiday that focuses on female empowerment and friendship. It’s never too early to teach girls the power of loving oneself and the importance of celebrating your supportive BFF who lifts your spirits 24/7.
Because we could all use a boost of the essential Vitamin Sisterhood, we’ve rounded up 4 activities for your daughter to do with your bestie, either virtually or in person. So put on your chef’s hand, get out those scissors, put on your sparkly dancing shoes and get ready to get your Galentine’s Day on, tween edition.
1. Chanel Your Top Chef with Our Fav Salty & Sweet Pretzel Snack
Because we may have had a minor (read: major) obsession with Flipz pretzels back in college which may or may not have resulted in a call to Flipz headquarters with a love confession for their white chocolate covered delights, our soft spot for these salty and sweet snacks is unending. What’s even better is that making your own chocolate covered pretzels is a great activity for kids to bring out their inner chef. Everything we used was found at the local grocery store and there was barely any prep. We opted for mini pretzel sticks because we love how snackable they are!
- 12 oz bag of pretzel rods
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Any sprinkle variety (we indulged and bought some super jazzy sprinkles)
- About ½ teaspoon of any oil, we used coconut
- Line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the chopped semi-sweet chocolate in a bowl and heat them in 30-second increments until smooth.
- Add a tiny bit of coconut oil in the bowl so that the consistency is velvety. Use up to ½ teaspoon.
- Dip the pretzels rods carefully in the melted chocolate.
- Place the pretzel sticks on the parchment-lined baking sheets and sprinkle generously while the chocolate is still tacky.
- Put the tray in the fridge for about an hour to set before serving.
- Snack on them while blasting your fav girl power song!
2. Practice Self Care and Pamper Yourself to the Max
Self care isn’t just for adults. It teaches kids good habits and builds confidence, resulting in more resilient little humans. Encourage your daughter and her BFF to grab their favorite fluffy robes, cut up some cucumber slices and indulge in all things spa with the Zoey Koko Mermaid Kissess Gift Set.
The light purple and deep ocean blue nail polish is perfect for manicures and pedicures, while the fluffy mermaid whipped soap is perfect for tub time. There’s even a black raspberry scented body butter to slather on arms and legs. And if you just so happen to see that body butter laying around without a tween in sight, we hear it’s also great for mom’s cracked cuticles and rough hands. Just sayin’.
3. Show off your Inner Piccaso with this Unicorn Foam Heart Craft
Because we are firm believers in all things unicorns, we had Rachel and Tess from the Zoey Koko team recreate this adorable unicorn heart craft. The verdict? Tons of fun, easy to make and lots of quality girl time was had. Encourage your little one to get creative and to remember, in the world of art, there are no mistakes.
4. Dance your Heart Out to a Girl Power Heavy Play List
No Galentine’s Day party is complete without blasting music and encouraging your daughter to sing her heart out. We’ve rounded up the top 10 songs that scream “Girl Power!” and make girls feel on top of the world. There’s even some oldies but goodies on this list, too. To complete the dance party ambiance, we bought a budget friendly party light to make it feel like they were any place but our living room.
- Fight Song by Rachel Platten
- Respect by Aretha Franklin
- Just a Girl by No Doubt
- Roar by Katy Perry
- Beautiful by Christina Aguilera
- Perfect by Pink
- Stronger by Britney Spears
- Break Free by Ariana Grande
- You Gotta Be by Desiree
- Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato